Yue Li 1 and Jiehua Lu 2
1China Population and Development Research Center, Haidian district, Beijing, China
2Peking University, Haidian district, Beijing, China
Received September 20, 2018; Accepted January 08; 2019
This study examined the association of childhood adversity with depression or severity of depressive symptoms among Chinese older adults, using data from the China Health and Retirement Longitudinal Study (CHARLS). The data is from a nationally representative sample of Chinese residents aged 45 or older and surveys of the sample population were conducted in 2011 and 2013; and individuals aged at 60 years or older, and interviewed for depressive symptom were included in this study. Multiple logistic regression analyses showed that the likelihood of depression was significantly associated with poor parental mental status, physical abuse, and emotional abuse during childhood. Our study adds to research in the area of adverse childhood events and its effect on adult psychological and physical well-being.
Depression; childhood adversity; population aging
Copyright © 2019 by Global Clinical and Translational Research.
How to cite this article:
Li Y, Lu J. Childhood adversity and depression among older adults: evidence from a longitudinal survey in China. Glob Clin Transl Res. 2019; 1 (1):53-57. DOI:10.36316/gcatr.01.0007
1. Subramaniam M, Abdin E, Sambasivam R, Vaingankar JA, Picco L, Pang S. Prevalence of depression among older adults - results from the well-being of the Singapore elderly study. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2016; 45:123-133.
2. Hasin DS, Sarvet AL, Meyers JL, Saha TD, Ruan WJ, Stohl M. Epidemiology of Adult DSM-5 Major depressive disorder and its decifiers in the United States. JAMA Psychiatry. 2018; 75:336-346.
3. Dong M, Wang SB, Li Y, Xu DD, Ungvari GS, Ng CH. Prevalence of suicidal behaviors in patients with major depressive disorder in China: A comprehensive meta-analysis. J Affect Disord. 2018; 225: 32-39.
4. Bjorkenstam C, Björkenstam C, Kosidou K, Björkenstam E. Childhood adversity and risk of suicide: cohort study of 548,721 adolescents and young adults in Sweden. BMJ. 2017; 357:j1334.
5. Gilbert R, Widom CS, Browne K, Fergusson D, Webb E, Janson S. Burden and consequences of child maltreatment in high-income countries. Lancet. 2009; 373:68-81.
6. Ege MA, Messias E, Thapa PB, Krain LP. Adverse childhood experiences and geriatric depression: results from the 2010 BRFSS. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2015; 23:110-114.
7. Das-Munshi J1, Clark C, Dewey ME, Leavey G, Stansfeld SA, Prince MJ. Does childhood adversity account for poorer mental and physical health in second-generation Irish people living in Britain? Birth cohort study from Britain (NC-DS). BMJ Open. 2013 Mar 1; 3(3):e001335. doi: 10.1136 /bmjopen-2012- 001335.
8. Tani Y, Fujiwara T, Kondo N, Noma H, Sasaki Y, Kondo K. Childhood Socioeconomic Status and Onset of depression among Japanese older adults: The JAGES Prospective Cohort Study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2016; 24:717-26.
9. Wielaard I, Schaakxs R, Comijs HC, Stek ML, Rhebergen D. The influence of childhood abuse on cortisol levels and the cortisol awakening response in depressed and nondepressed older adults. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2018; 19:440-449.
10. Zhao Y, Hu Y, Smith JP, Strauss J, Yang G. Cohort profile: The China Health and Retirement Longitudinal Study (CHARLS). Int J Epidemiol. 2014; 43: 61-68.
11. Andresen EM, Byers K, Friary J, Kosloski K, Montgomery R. performance of the 10-item Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression scale for caregiving research. SAGE Open Med. 2013; 1: 2050312113514576.
12. McLaughlin KA, Conron KJ, Koenen KC, Gilman SE. Childhood adversity, adult stressful life events, and risk of past-year psychiatric disorder: a test of the stress sensitization hypothesis in a population-based sample of adults. Psychol Med. 2010; 40: 1647-1658.
13. Varese F, Smeets F, Drukker M, Lieverse R, Lataster T, Viechtbauer W. Childhood adversities increase the risk of psychosis: a meta-analysis of patient- control, prospective- and cross-sectional cohort studies. Schizophr Bull. 2012; 38:661-671.